Prologue: Past and Present

>> Monday, May 11, 2009

In order to guide the future, one should be aware of the past and the present. While the future is unpredictable and is subject to change at a moment's notice, it's still important to keep certain things in mind. Hopefully this blog shall progress accordingly.

In Spring 2008 I graduated from the University of Michigan-Ann Arbor with my Bachelor's of Science in Biology. At this point, I had applied to 17 medical schools and 1 school of public health. I had gotten 3 med school interviews and been placed on 3 wait-lists. I got into the one school of public health at UM, my now alma mater.

After graduation, I wrote a letter of intent to the Medical College of Wisconsin (MCW), my first choice among the places I interviewed. At the same time, I accepted my acceptance to the UM school of public health (UM SPH) for the Hospital & Molecular Epidemiology program just in case.

In early July, I got a phone call from the director of admissions at MCW. Here was the situation. I was really high up on their wait-list, perhaps in the top 10 or so. If anyone had declined their acceptance, I would almost certainly get a spot in the entering class of 2008-2009. But because it looked like that wouldn't happen, he made me a special offer. He would guarantee me a spot in the entering class of 2009-2010, provided that I met all the requirements for admission anyway and that I did not apply to any other medical schools in the next application cycle. I readily took his offer.

So, for the 2008-2009 academic year, I was at UM SPH working towards my Master's in Public Health (MPH) in Hospital & Molecular Epidemiology. I worked in a genetic cancer epidemiology lab, mostly on colorectal cancer. Also, winter semester I was a graduate student instructor (GSI) for the undergraduate course, Biology 305: Intro to Genetics. Being a GSI totally rocked (and I was pretty good at it, if I do say so myself), and is definitely worth a post at a later date.

Right now I'm at home, relaxing and not working this summer immediately before medical school. I have a trip to China for the month of June that I'm really excited about. I'm still uncertain as to whether I will complete my MPH at UM or MCW, or at all. Stay tuned for the stories and excerpts of my life, as well as commentaries on things that interest or concern me.

0 comments:

About This Blog

Welcome to my running commentary on my life and about life. This is my space to express my opinions, thoughts, and reflections. This blog is but a small window into the workings of my mind.

  © Blogger template Sunset by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP